Monday, June 3, 2013

…I Shall Not Want


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalms 23:1

            A number of years ago the church my husband and I attended at the time was having a special event that we really wanted to attend.  The problem was that I did not have a nice dress to wear.  My husband and I were newly married. At the time he only had a part time job, which did not pay a lot. I was doing volunteer work at our church.  We were not working with a lot of money.
            As the event drew closer by each passing day, I continued to pray that scripture on a daily basis.  Sometimes I would pray it 2-3 times a day. The only thing was, I was not praying it for the dress situation only.  I was praying it for day-to-day survival! We needed groceries and rent had to be paid!
            One day I was talking to a lady at the church and she asked me if I was going to the upcoming dinner.  I responded with a resounding, “Yes, I’m going.  The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. Not even for a dress to wear.”  She said, “Wow, Nett, when you said that I could hear your faith.”  Hear my faith?  What was she talking about, I wondered to myself?
            Two days later she called me and said that God told her to take me shopping and buy me a dress to wear to the dinner.  I was amazed! That had never happened to me before.  Of course I went shopping with her.  Not only did she buy me a new dress, she also brought me matching shoes and stockings.  Wow!  I was so excited. God had heard my prayer AND answered it by moving on someone’s heart to buy me a dress with accessories.
            But, I was still wondering what she meant by, “I could hear your faith?”  As I continued on in my spiritual growth and development, many things became clearer to me.  Many of my questions were being answered, including the unspoken question of “how can you hear someone’s faith?”
            The answer was a simple one.  The more you meditate God’s Word into your heart, the more you hear the Word preached, the more you do the Word, the Word becomes alive in you.  This will cause your faith to increase.  When you speak the Word out loud, you are speaking your faith.  God’s blessings to you and yours.

Scripture for meditation: Psalms 23:1

           



No comments: